Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Nikon D700

LUND--I went by one of the local camera stores the other day and played with the new Nikon D700 with the full-frame sensor. Awesome. Incredibly fast. It had a 50mm f1.8 lens. The auto-focus version of my very first lens. It is a big camera but not nearly as large as the old D1x or the D3. And so much faster than the D1x. Did I mention the full frame sensor. And a big, big focusing screen. I use a lot of manual lenses on the D1x and the screen is really tiny. My eyes are good but I have to be very careful with that screen not to be slightly off-focus. The old screen of the FM was a true luxury. Anyway, I like, I want, a D700. Good job Nikon. Now if you'd only make a digital FM. Basically something digital like the FM3, I would be happy. And don't trick up the body. Make it as close as possible to the FM design that worked so well for so many years (and still does).

Now the question. Why does Nikon, who does and has always done so well with their SLRs (and rangefinders for that matter) make such unsatisfactory point and shoots?

No comments: